Information concerning the baptisms of the Presidents of the
1. Joseph Smith: The
Prophet Joseph was baptized on
May 15, 1829
Susquehanna River near Harmony,
Joseph was rebaptized on
membership in the new Church of Jesus Christ.
2. Brigham Young: President Young was baptized on
(age 30 years 10 months) in his own millpond near Mendon,
by Eleazar Miller, one of the early missionaries of the Church.
3. John Taylor: President Taylor was baptized on
years 6 months) in Black Creek near
He and his wife were baptized by Elder Parley P. Pratt, a member of the Quorum
of the Twelve.
4. Wilford Woodruff: President Woodruff was baptized
missionary for the Church (see D&C 124:138).
5. Lorenzo Snow: President Snow was baptized on
years 2 months) in the
He was baptized by Elder John F. Boynton, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve.
6. Joseph F. Smith: President Smith was baptized on
13 years 6 months) in City Creek,
was baptized by Heber C. Kimball, who at the time was 1st Counselor in the
First Presidency and was married to Joseph’s mother.
7. Heber J. Grant: President Grant was baptized on
7 years 6 months) in a wagon box rigged up as an outdoor font behind Brigham
Young’s school in
8. George Albert Smith: President Smith was baptized
(age 8 years 2 months) in City Creek in
9. David O. McKay: President McKay was baptized on
(age 8 years 0 months) in Spring Creek near
by Peter Geertsen.
10. Joseph Fielding Smith: President Smith was
The records do not say exactly where President Smith was baptized, but since it
was a hot summer day, he was probably baptized outdoors in City Creek.
11. Harold B. Lee: President Lee was baptized on
years 2 months) in Bybee Pond, an old limekiln near
Bybee, the owner of the limekiln.
12. Spencer W. Kimball: President Kimball was
hog-scalding tub that was also used as the family’s bathtub. This occurred in
His father stood outside the tub, which some people felt was not a correct way
to baptize. To be sure that Spencer was properly baptized, he was baptized
(age 12 years 6 months) in the
away from his home.
13. Ezra Taft Benson: President Benson was baptized
(age 8 years 0 months) in the
by his father, George Taft Benson. This information was obtained from Sarah
Benson Eveleth, President Benson’s sister.
14. Howard W. Hunter President Hunter was baptized
(age 12 years 5 months) in the Natatorium, a large indoor swimming complex in
15.Gordon B. Hinckley: President Hinckley was
in the baptismal font of the First Ward in the Liberty Stake in Salt Lake City.
16. Thomas S. Monson: I recall the
time I approached baptism, when I was eight years of age. My mother talked with
me about repentance and about the meaning of baptism; and then, on a Saturday
in September of 1935, she took me on a streetcar to the Tabernacle baptistry on
At the time it was not as customary as it is now for fathers to baptize their
children, since the ordinance was generally performed on a Saturday morning or
afternoon, and many fathers were working at their daily professions or trades.
I dressed in white and was baptized. I remember that day as though it was
yesterday and the happiness I felt at having had this ordinance performed.
Ensign, May 2007, Tabernacle Memories
(Most of this information was obtained from
The Friend, August 1997, pages 42-43)